Some of the functions of Planning Investment Promotion and Sustainable Development Department are :-
- Co-ordination and policy matters relating to development in the State.
- Responsible for appraisal of development projects and programme including Centrally Sponsored and Central Sector Schemes as well as monitoring of their implementation.
- Mobilising investments for development of the State. The State PPP Cell is also under the control of the Department.
- Liaise with NITI Aayog for all matters, including United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDG).
- Nodal Department for submission of proposals to the Government of India for funding under Externally Aided Projects
- Nodal Department for the selection of projects to be posed to the Ministry of DoNER, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Ministry of Minority Affairs, NABARD, Department for Promotion of Industry, and Internal Trade (DPIIT) and Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievance (DARPG).
- Coordinate with Finance (Economic Affairs) Department in respect of posing of projects for funding under the Special Assistance to States for Capital Investment to the Ministry of Finance.
- Nodal Department for PM-DevINE and PM Gati Shakti which are major initiatives of Government of India
- Nodal Department for implementation of Meghalaya Enterprise Architecture (MeghEA) Project
- The Department is also nodal department for the State Government in respect of issues raised in the Proactive Governance and Timely Implementation (PRAGATI) of the Prime Minister’s Office and the Project Monitoring Group (PMG) of the Cabinet Secretariat.