SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY CELL
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
Science & Technology Cell was set-up in the Planning Department, Government of Meghalaya for promotion of Science & Technology in the State. The Cell formulates policies and programmes for the State on various aspects of Science & Technology and provides direction for formulation and execution of relevant schemes/projects on Science & Technology in the State. The Cell also undertakes all necessary measures as required for initiating, facilitating, monitoring and following-up schemes/projects in various areas of Science & Technology in the State.
Schemes/projects undertaken by the Science & Technology Cell are aimed at promoting the popularisation, development and application of Science & Technology in the State.
To ensure effective utilisation of Science & Technology for all-round development of the State.
- To promote the use of Science & Technology for all-round development of the State.
- To promote popularisation and communication of Science in the State.
- To promote development and introduction of appropriate technology to meet the various developmental needs in the State.
- To promote the use of Science & Technology for employment generation in the State.
- To promote appropriate intervention of Science & Technology for effective conservation and sustainable utilisation of the natural resources of the State.
- To formulate policies and programmes on various aspects of Science & Technology which are in the interest of the State
- To facilitate the process of identification of schemes/projects and formulation of proposals in various aspects of Science & Technology in the State.
- To prepare S&T annual plans, five-year plans, budgets, etc,. for the State
- To scrutinise proposals relating to Science & Technology for consideration by the State Government.
- To allocate/allot and release fund from the state-budget for S&T promotion in the State.
- To provide direction for, co-ordinate, monitor, supervise and follow-up S&T activities undertaken in the State.
- To act as a nodal agency in the State for matters pertaining to Science & Technology.
- To undertake various measures for effective utilisation of Science & Technology in the State.
- Popularisation of Science Programme
- Introduction of Appropriate Technology Programme
- Specific Projects Programme
- Sponsored Students Projects Programme.
- Technology-Oriented Entrepreneurship Development Programme
- S&T Library & Documentation Programme
- Science Centres Programme
A wide range of schemes are undertaken under each of the S &T programmes in the State and these schemes are implemented through the autonomous S&T agencies, namely, SCSTE, Meghalaya and Shillong Science Centre.